The majority of our passengers start and finish their journey at Bodmin General and travel both of our branch lines by using our All Line Ticket.
Bodmin General Station is our headquarters and the Railway’s focal point. It is centrally situated and is a 10-15 minute walk from the town centre of Bodmin. The station has a coffee shop, gift shop and other facilities, including a wheelchair accessible toilet and baby change facility.
Find out more here.
Our serviceable steam engines are stored in the Locomotive Running Shed, situated on the adjacent side of the main running line near to the signalbox, but the building is not normally accessible to the public.
The main station building at Bodmin General was constructed by the Great Western Railway and opened in 1887, when the 3½-mile branch line from Bodmin Road to Bodmin was opened. The station is beautifully restored to reflect the 1950’s and is resplendent in the British Railways (Western Region) colour scheme of the period. Popular events honouring the Station’s historic origins have included Victorian Weekend and Vintage Carriages Day, and visitors are welcome to explore the station and platform and its original features on any day that the Station is open.
This is a peaceful wayside station, set amongst beautiful scenery, located between Bodmin General and Bodmin Parkway, opened by the Bodmin & Wenford Railway in 1993.
There is a small picnic area at Coleslogget Halt, but no car parking here for railway users.
From Coleslogget Halt there is a 1½-mile walk along a footpath to Cardinham Woods (which can be viewed in the distance from the station) although please note that this Public Footpath runs through fields and has stiles at certain points and is not recommended for wheelchairs or push chairs and can be wet and muddy at times. Stout footwear is certainly recommended!
Trains from Bodmin General to Bodmin Parkway usually stop at Coleslogget Halt, but NOT on the return (uphill) journey due to the steep gradient and curvature of the line at this point. Certain trains do not stop at Coleslogget Halt.
Bodmin Parkway Station is operated and maintained by Great Western Railway Limited. Car parking is available at the station, but this is for the exclusive use of main line passengers only. Bodmin & Wenford Railway trains operate from Platform 3 adjacent to the platform used by London-bound trains.
The old Signalbox on the Down platform at Bodmin Parkway has been converted to a Coffee Shop, which is operated by the Bodmin & Wenford Railway, providing a valuable service to main line travellers, but also to walkers and our own passengers. Please note, the Coffee Shop is accessed by stairs from the platform, and there is no provision for wheelchair users at Bodmin Parkway. Find out more on the Access page.
Originally called Bodmin Road, the station was built by The Cornwall Railway in 1859. It has been a junction with the national railway network since 1887, when the 3½-mile branch line to Bodmin was opened. This is a main line station on the route from London and the north, via Plymouth, to Penzance.
The Bodmin & Wenford Railway has built a shed at Bodmin Parkway, opened in 2007 and used primarily to store various items of rolling stock, but this is NOT open to the public. Adjacent to the storage shed is an ‘Exchange Siding’ which provides a physical link between the national railway network and the Bodmin & Wenford Railway, which is controlled by the Network Rail Signaller at Lostwithiel Signalbox. The link sees occasional use but cannot be used by passenger-carrying trains.
There is a very pleasant walk from Bodmin Parkway along the old carriage drive to Lanhydrock House (about 1¾ miles – 40 minutes). Lanhydrock is a beautiful country house set in impressive grounds and now owned by the National Trust. There is an admission fee for the house and gardens but not for the grounds. For more information please contact the National Trust.
Boscarne Junction is situated directly adjacent to the Camel Trail, a recreational footpath and cycleway, largely along the former railway trackbed which is owned and managed by Cornwall Council. The station has a waiting room, opened in 2010 which is available to passengers during the day that trains operate.
From Boscarne Junction you can walk along the Camel Trail, where there is a vineyard, a Tea Room and a public house, all within approximately 30 minutes’ walk (none of which are operated by the Bodmin & Wenford Railway). If you visit us in the morning, you can break your journey here and return on another train later in the day!
Boscarne Junction station was opened by the Bodmin & Wenford Railway in 1996, though the station itself is located on the trackbed of the former Bodmin & Wadebridge Railway, opened originally in 1834 and one of the very first railways in the world.
The site has been a junction since 1888, when the line from Bodmin General was opened, and was once a busy place, with train services (operated by both the Great Western Railway and the Southern Railway) passing here to Wadebridge, Padstow, Bodmin, Bodmin Road and Wenfordbridge. However, there was never actually a station here until 1964, which only survived three years until passenger services over the line were withdrawn by British Railways.