Your browser is no longer supported. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

We have a small fleet of hard-working locomotives here at the Bodmin & Wenford Railway. They are of varying sizes and purposes. Our fleet provides the motive power required to haul our services. Many of our locomotives are prominent to the line or region, some of which have worked over the line in service with British Railways before the line closed in 1983.

Want to know what locomotive is running today? Check out our locomotive roster by clicking here.

Steam Locomotives

GWR '4575' Class 2-6-2 Small Prairie Tank No. 5552

Built: 1928, GWR Swindon Works

Livery: BR Lined Green

Condition: Undergoing overhaul

5552 is a loco at home in Cornwall, having been allocated to Truro Shed for its last years from where it was withdrawn in May 1961. Similar locos worked the line from Bodmin Road to Wadebridge. In 1986 the Bodmin & Wenford Railway Trust bought the loco and 17 years were spent restoring it and in September 2003 it was returned to service. In 2013 its boiler ticket expired and it was due for overhaul. It has been out of traffic ever since undergoing overhaul and we look forward to getting it back in traffic later in 2022.

GWR '8750' Class 0-6-0 Pannier Tank No. 4612

Built: 1942, GWR Swindon Works

Livery: GWR Green

Condition: In service

One of 863 pannier tanks built, the GWR’s most numerous class, 4612 did time in Bristol, Swindon and finally South Wales. Scrapped in 1965 it was saved from the scrapyard in 1981 as a spare for parts. A private owner saved her again and it was taken to the Flour Mill in the Forest of Dean for overhaul. In 2000 the Bodmin & Wenford Railway Trust bought the loco and returned her to steam.

GWR 64xx Class 0-6-0 Pannier Tank No. 6435

Built: 1937, GWR Swindon Works

Livery: BR Lined Green

Condition: Awaiting overhaul

The 64xx class were built solely for passenger services (hence why some of the class were auto-fitted) and 6435 spent most of its life in South Wales. It was bought straight from BR service in 1965 to the then Dart Valley Railway (now South Devon Railway). It was then transferred to the Paignton & Dartmouth but was declared too small for its heavy, long trains so was bought by the Bodmin & Wenford Railway Trust in 2008. Although a good engine with a boiler ticket until 2023, the engine sadly had to be stopped for overhaul during the summer of 2021 as during a routine inspection a boiler defect was found. 6435 is our only engine that is ‘auto-fitted’ for working with our BR(W) Autocoach 232.

Bagnall 0-6-0 Saddle Tank J94 No.2766 '75178'

Built: 1944, Stafford Bagnall Works

Livery: War Department Green

Condition: In service

Built in Stafford at Bagnall Works in 1944 and numbered 2766. It was shipped out to Calais to help in the final months of the war effort, carrying its current War Department livery and number 75178. After the war it was bought by the National Coal Board and put to use shunting coal trains in South Wales where it was involved in a runaway accident. It was withdrawn in 1976 and taken to the South Devon Railway to be a spare for parts. Brought to Bodmin in 1997 it went through a 20-year restoration and finally steamed again in 2017.

Bagnall 0-4-0 Saddle Tank No. 2962 'No. 19'

Built: 1950, Stafford Bagnall Works

Livery: Maroon

Condition: Awaiting overhaul

The last steam loco to be built for use at the Devonport Dockyard. It was bought by the Great Western Society in 1969 and worked at the Bugle Steam railway (now closed). It was the first steam loco to run at the Bodmin & Wenford Railway at an open day in 1986 and moved here permanently in 1987. It hauled some of the first steam hauled passenger trains when the line to Bodmin Parkway opened in 1989.

Bagnall 0-4-0 Saddle Tank No. 2572 'Judy'

Built: 1937, Stafford Bagnall Works

Livery: E.C.C. Par Docks Green

Condition: Undergoing overhaul

Judy is a good deal older than her twin Alfred, but they look identical. Built at a low-level to go under the low bridges at Par, Judy was used to shunt China Clay at Par docks. She passed away some time as a static display at the Wheal Martyn China Clay Museum but in 2002 she was handed to the Cornish Steam Locomotive Preservation Society who secured a Heritage Lottery award to fund her restoration which was completed in 2009. In 2019 her boiler ticket expired and she is undergoing her 10-year heavy overhaul.

Bagnall 0-4-0 Saddle Tank No. 3058 'Alfred'

Built: 1953, Stafford Bagnall Works

Livery: E.C.C. Par Docks Green

Condition: Awaiting overhaul

Alfred was an early acquisition by the Bodmin & Wenford Railway, and was used at Par Docks to shunt China Clay. Alfred and twin sister loco; Judy, gave the late Reverend W. Awdry the idea for the Bill and Ben twins in the Thomas books.

Diesel Locomotives

BR Class 50 Co-Co No. D442/50042 'Triumph'

Built: 1968, English Electric Vulcan Foundry

Livery: BR large Logo, Black Roof

Condition: In service

The Class 50’s were built by English Electric for BR in 1968 for use on the West Coast Main Line prior to electrification. The class were transferred during the mid-to-late 70’s to the Western Region where they put their power to good use on our gradients. Withdrawn in 1990 the Bodmin Mainline Diesel Group bought the loco in 1991 and restored it to pristine condition in 1993. It currently sports a BR Blue Large Logo livery with a black roof, typical of a Laira based engine which 50042 was during it’s time in the Westcountry.

BR Class 47/3 Co-Co No. D1787/47306 'The Sapper'

Built: 1963, Brush Falcon Works

Livery: Railfreight Distribution Triple Grey

Condition: In service

47306 came to the railway in 2007, straight from its base in St. Blazey after it was retired from use by the mainline (albeit having spent a few years in the shed at St Blazey after it was retired from use). It came virtually complete and after a few checks was able to be started up. 47’s were synonymous with Cornwall, like its fellow members of the diesel fleet, so fits in well.

BR Class 37 Co-Co No. D6842/37142

Built: 1963, English Electric Vulcan Foundry

Livery: BR Blue

Condition: Undergoing overhaul

This type 3 was first based at Cardiff Canton. In 1978 it was moved to the West Country and was allocated to Plymouth Laira depot, for use on China Clay trains to replace the type 2’s that worked those trains. It would have worked China Clay trains across Cornwall, including on the Wenfordbridge line passing through Bodmin General and Boscarne Junction before it closed in 1983. It’s very much at home working passenger or demonstration China Clay services here.

BR Class 08 0-6-0 No. D3359/08444

Built: 1958, Derby

Livery: BR Green

Condition: In service

08444 was bought in 1987 by the Bodmin & Wenford Railway Trust and worked some of the railways first passenger trains. It’s been in regular use as a shunting loco for all its time at Bodmin whilst also providing motive power on works trains and the former Fitzgerald Lighting freight services. It is in need of some TLC and will shortly be going into the workshops for overhaul.

BR Class 10 0-6-0 No. D3452

Built: 1957, Darlington

Livery: BR Black

Condition: Awaiting overhaul

D3452 was built in 1957 for BR but spent most of its life privately owned by English China Clays shunting China Clay trains at Fowey docks. It moved to Bodmin in 1989, however a little worse for wear with a slipped crank, so was limited to 5mph but undertook regular shunting duties and works trains. It requires an overhaul as well and the slipped crank rectifying so is in the queue to go into the workshops.

BR Class 121 'Bubble car' No. 121020

Built: 1960, Pressed Steel Works

Livery: Chiltern Railways Blue

Condition: Awaiting repairs

Class 121 ‘Bubble’ cars were made for branch line work of the Western Region of BR and 121020 suits the line perfectly. In the short days between the end of steam in Cornwall and closure of the line, services between Bodmin Road and Wadebridge were worked by the Class 121 and it is possible 121020 did run over the line in the 60’s (however unconfirmed). 121020 is famous as it remained in mainline passenger service until 2018! It spent its last days on the mainline with Chiltern railways working the Princess Risborough to Aylesbury branch. After it was finally withdrawn from service in 2018, 121020 was bought by the Bodmin & Wenford Railway Trust, and arrived in a fairly good state having been well looked after by Chiltern Railways. However, the unit has developed a fuel tank leak and its batteries need replacing so is in the queue to undergo repairs in our workshop.

Rolls-Royce Sentinel 0-4-0 No. S10029 'Denise'

Built: 1960, Sentinel Ltd Harlescott Works

Livery: E.C.C. Orange

Condition: In service

Denise was given donated to the railway as ECC no longer required it. Being a former China Clay Shunter Denise is very much at home on our line, given our China Clay heritage. Due to the fact it is only fitted with air brakes rather than the traditional vacuum brakes we use on our stock; Denise can’t haul passenger trains. However, it is regularly used for shunting as the ‘bubble’ cab provides an excellent view to the driver in all directions. Denise has recently just come back into traffic having been in the Workshop for repairs.

Visiting Locomotives

BR Class 08 0-6-0 No. 08359

Built: 1958, Crewe

Livery: BR Blue

Condition: In service

With a typical Cornish welcome in the mizzle, BR Class 08; 08359, is joining us for a few months so we can take our own Class 08, 08444, out of traffic for an overhaul.