The Bodmin Railway Preservation Society
Nostalgia is powerful – we all love the occasional wallow in the past, and the past is the destination for a visit and a ride on our Railway, come rain or shine. With its mining heritage, Cornwall was an area which needed and used the locomotive. Bodmin and Wadebridge was one of the country’s first railways. British Rail abandoned the tracks around Bodmin in the 1980s – this attracted the steam enthusiasts of the day. The rest is now part of our history.
The key to our continuing success has been an ability to ignore the apparently impossible – love, team working, determination and sheer hard work have collectively created a reality out of a dream, and these qualities continue to keep us running today. In 1984 the first enthusiasts dreamed of creating a Heritage Railway. The enthusiasm caught on – like-minded people joined and continue to do so today on a regular basis. No experience or hard work needed for new society members, just an ability to share the dream. Although you can start your own chapter to a new story by volunteering.
Why is this important?
To learn lessons for the future, look to the past. There is a difference between preserving the past and living in the past – experience from the past equips us for life. Most believe that conservation is important for our children and our children’s children – so do we. For those who care less passionately about heritage and history , the Railway plays its part in the overall Cornwall tourist experience and the local economy. Its ongoing health, and that of the society, remains key to the wellbeing of the area.
Benefits of membership
As a member of the BRPS, you will receive:
- Three issues a year of our Bodmin and Wenford News magazine, which will keep you up to date with all the goings on at the railway
- Two free rides a year and 25% discount on all other fares
- An opportunity to join our 200 Plus club: our quarterly prize draw scheme with prizes of 30%, 10% & 5% of total subscriptions
- The pride and enjoyment which comes with being part of the railway, and knowing that through your interest and support, you are making an important contribution to the preservation of Cornwall’s Railway Heritage, its infrastructure, rolling stock, steam and diesel locomotives. Thank you!
- Volunteering Opportunities: only members of the BRPS have the opportunity to becoming part of the friendly volunteer team at the Bodmin & Wenford Railway and gain hands on experience in all aspects of the running the railway.
How to join
To join the BRPS, please fill in a membership form. You can collect a form from Bodmin Railway, contact the BRPS to be sent a copy, or download a copy. Then return your completed form along with your payment to:
BRPS Membership Secretary, Bodmin General Station, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL31 1AQ.
Don’t forget to fill in the Volunteer section of the form if you also wish to become a volunteer at the BWR. If you have any questions at all, please get in touch with us by telephone or using the contact form below.
Adult £24.00 | Joint adult £36.00 | Junior (aged below 16) £13.00
Family 1 (1 Adult + 2 Child) £39.00 | Family 2 (2 Adult + 2 Child) £43.00
Senior (60+) £20.00 | Joint Senior (both 60+) £28.00
Life £400.00 | Joint Life £500.00
Senior Life (60+) £250.00 | Joint Senior Life (both 60+) £300.00
Volunteering opportunities are open only to members of the BRPS. You can download a membership form at the bottom of this page, or contact the BRPS for more details.
Click the button below to find out more about becoming a volunteer at the Bodmin & Wenford Railway.
Contact the society
To get in touch with the BRPS please contact the office by telephone: 01208 73555 or contact us via the form at the bottom of this page. We will aim to get back to you within three days.