|Operation:||GWR 64xx Class 0-6-0PT|
|Livery:||BR Lined Green|
No 6435 was one of a class of forty locomotives built by the GWR at Swindon Works between 1932 and 1937, primarily for branch line work. All were fitted with the necessary equipment to work an auto train- one that can be driven from the engine in the normal manner; or by remote control from the front of the leading coach when the train is being propelled by the engine.
The engine spent the majority of its life with the GWR-and, later British Railways- Working in South Wales, though prior to being withdrawn it was based at Yeovil. Some members of the class also worked from Plymouth Laira shed and regularly worked trains into Cornwall.
By the time it was withdrawn, No 6435 had run over 570,000 miles in service. Together with two other members of the class- Nos 6412 & 6430- the engine was purchased for preservation by the Dart Valley Railway, initially to operate on the Buckfastleigh -Totnes branch in Devon. It was later transferred to the Kingswear-Paignton line.
No 6435 was purchased from the DVLR by the Bodmin & Wenford Railway trust in July 2008. It made its public debut on the BWR two months later, and is sometimes paired with auto trailer 232