|Operation:||GWR '8750' Class 0-6-0PT|
No 4612 was one of a class of 863 0-6-0 pannier tanks from the 57xx Class, built from 1929-50, which constituted the largest single group of locomotives on the Great Western Railway. They were used for shunting and light mixed traffic duties over virtually the entire GWR system, and were once a regular sight in Cornwall, earning a reputation of being exceptionally strong and free-steaming.
No 4612 was built by the GWR at Swindon Works in 1942. During its career with the GWR and, later, British Railways the locomotive was based at several sheds, primarily in the Bristol and Swindon area. It ended its days working in South Wales, before being withdrawn in July 1965 and ending up in a scrapyard in Barry.
Rescued from there in 1981, No 4612 was bought by the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway as a source of spare parts for sister engine No 5775. The pannier tank (or the remains of it!) was then purchased by Elaine & Ray Treadwell in 1987 and extensively restored, latterly at the Flour Mill workshop in the Forest of Dean.
In 2000 the loco was purchased by the Bodmin & Wenford Railway Trust and launched back into service on 29 July 2001. Following 10 Year overhaul, the locomotive arrived back at Bodmin in August 2013, in GWR green livery.