|Operation:||LSWR Beattie 2-4-0WT|
|Built in:||Nine Elms|
No 30587 was one of a class of 85 which was designed by Joseph Hamilton Beattie, the Mechanical Engineer of the London & South Western Railway from 1st July 1850, who was succeeded in the same position from 23rd November 1871 by his son William George Beattie. They were called Standard Well Tanks and were designed in consultation with Charles Beyer, of Beyer Peacock Co. who built them at their works at Gorton, Manchester. The design was based on the three locos of the "Nile" class built in 1859 and incorporated many improvements. They were built between 1872 and 1876.
The loco was selected for preservation by the National Railway Museum and was observed in store at Fratton shed, Portsmouth on 26 July 1963. It was towed from there on 12 September 1964 and went on shed at Basingstoke for a few days before proceeding to Woking where it developed a hot-box and remained at the station for a while before proceeding to Stratford Works for storage arriving in September. It was noted inside No.2 Paint Shop on 15 November 1964. At an unknown date it was towed to Brighton and placed inside the Pullman Works at Preston Park as part of the Reserve Collection. It arrived, on loan, at the Dart Valley Railway at Buckfastleigh numbered 3298 on 22nd April 1978. It was removed on 2 December 2001 and taken to the Flour Mill Workshops in the Forest of Dean for restoration to working order and arrived at Bodmin numbered 30587 on 12 November 2002.
In 2012 the locomotive was withdrawn for its 10 year overhaul, which saw the locomotive return to Bill Parkers workshops at the Flour mill for the work to be carried out. The engine re-appeared on the line in Southern livery, numbered 3298 for our Victorian Weekend in 2013.