Bodmin General, located about half a mile from the town centre, dates from May 1887 when the 3½-mile branch from Bodmin Road (now Bodmin Parkway) was opened. The exterior of the station building is largely as it was when originally opened. The station, beautifully restored to reflect the 1950s, is now the Head Office and principal station on the BWR, and welcomes well in excess of 50,000 visitors a year. It has a single platform and traditional semaphore signals, controlled from the signalbox at the end of the platform, now control all train movements.
The station is centrally situated, about a 10-15 minute walk from the town centre. Bodmin is a historic Cornish town, featuring the Shire Hall, Town Museum, Courtroom Experience, Jail and nearby Cornwall’s Regimental Museum – click here for further information.
We have our own free car park for visitors directly adjacent to the station, located on the former goods yard.
The station at Bodmin General – which opens at 10:00 on most train operating days – boasts a ticket office, offices, Refreshment Room, souvenir giftshop, Exhibition Coach and toilet facilities. The Refreshment Room serves a range of light meals, snacks, sandwiches, cream teas, cakes and sweets, together with tea, coffee and a selection of non-alcoholic drinks. Our well-stocked Giftshop has a good range of souvenirs, gifts, books, models, toys, postcards etc. Don’t forget to purchase a copy of our new colour Guidebook! Both the Refreshment Room and Giftshop are open on all train operating days. There is a small picnic area located along the platform towards the signalbox.
The station also has a fully equipped workshop and locomotive running shed. Several locomotives and items of rolling stock can be viewed on display or receiving attention, though for safety reasons the running shed is not open to the public. The workshop has a viewing area, offering an opportunity to see the work necessary to keep our engines and rolling stock in tip-top condition, which is open on most train operating days (though may be closed at certain times for operational and safety reasons).
A new Exhibition Coach – which can be accessed from the platform – contains displays, models and artifacts about the history of the line. There are full toilet facilities available at Bodmin General, including an accessible toilet.
Colesloggett Halt is a peaceful wayside station amidst beautiful scenery, with views across the valley to Cardinham Woods. The platform was built in 1993 to serve a Farm Park adjacent to the station , which has sadly now closed. Due to the steep gradient and curvature of the line at this point, trains to, and not from, Bodmin Parkway normally only stop here.
The Halt makes an ideal place to alight from the train for walks in the nearby Cardinham Woods. The Public Footpath to the Woods (approximately 1½ miles), which can be wet and muddy at times, runs through fields and has stiles at certain points and is not recommended for wheel chairs, pushchairs or the infirm. A separate leaflet is available.
Colesloggett has a waiting shelter and a number of picnic benches.
There is no car parking at the station for rail users and no toilet facilities.
Bodmin Parkway station (originally called Bodmin Road) was constructed by the Cornwall Railway in 1859, became part of the Great Western Railway in 1876, and remains a busy station on the national railway network. It became a junction station from May 1887 when the 3½-mile branch line to Bodmin (now part of the BWR) was opened. The station is operated by First Great Western, is situated on the main line between Plymouth and Penzance and is located in the picturesque Glynn Valley, beside the River Fowey.
Connections can be made with services on the national network and, while the majority of trains on the main line are now diesel hauled, steam-hauled charter trains still make an occasional appearance! Through tickets may be bought at all mainline stations which include travel on the Bodmin & Wenford Railway - just ask for tickets "....to the Bodmin & Wenford Railway" - not to Bodmin Parkway. Car parking at this station (for which a charge is levied) is for main line passengers only.
BWR trains have exclusive use of Platform 3 at Bodmin Parkway, adjacent to the platform used by Plymouth-bound trains. – our impressive-looking publicity sign faces the platform!
We have a carriage storage shed here – used to store items of rolling stock both in use and awaiting restoration – but this is not open to the public for safety reasons due to its distance from the platform and close proximity to the main line. There is also an exchange siding which provides access onto the Up Main Line, controlled by Lostwithiel Signal Box. Visiting locomotives sometimes arrive this way. Freight trains also once used this connection on a regular basis, but this traffic has now ceased.
The award-winning Station Café, located in the former signalbox adjacent to the main station building is operated by the BWR. It is open 363 days a year and serves a variety of snacks, sandwiches, cream teas, cakes and sweets, together with tea, coffee and a selection of non-alcoholic drinks, and a limited range of souvenirs. The home made cakes are heartily recommended!
There is a very pleasant walk from here along the old carriage drive to Lanhydrock House (about 1¾ miles - 40 minutes). Lanhydrock is a beautiful country house set in impressive grounds and now owned by the National Trust. There is an admission fee for the house and gardens but not for the grounds. For more information please contact the National Trust.
[see existing website for links]
Boscarne was the junction of the original Bodmin & Wadebridge Railway (later London & South Western Railway, and then the Southern Railway) and the Great Western Railway. At one time the location was quite a busy place, with trains heading to/from Wadebridge, Padstow, Wenfordbridge, Bodmin North, Bodmin General and Bodmin Road, though it is somewhat quieter these days!
The station here – built in the style of a Southern Railway halt and consisting of a single platform complete with waiting room – was constructed by the BWR and opened in 1996. It is situated on the trackbed of the former Bodmin & Wadebridge Railway, opened in 1834 and one of the very first railways in the world, and directly adjacent to The Camel Trail recreational footpath and cycleway, which runs largely along the former railway trackbed to Wadebridge, Padstow, Bodmin and the edge of Bodmin Moor.
The station thus offers an opportunity to take a walk, picnic or bike ride and catch a later train back. There is a pub, tea room and vineyard all within a 15-30minute walk of the station. There is also a circular wildlife walk from the station – a separate leaflet is available.